The beginning of a new year is the perfect time to check you are up to date with the building compliance obligations for your property portfolio – and plan for the 2019 year.
Check your Building Compliance is up to date with this simple checklist
First, confirm that:
- Your BWOF for each building is displayed, and current
- Your Inspection Logs and Manual are up to date and filed for easy access and updating
- You have forms ready in your log book, or manual, for you and your IQP’s to record the inspections for the year ahead
- You have a schedule for the Owner’s Inspections you will be carrying out and have added these dates to your calendar or diary
- Any new installations have the necessary consents, and details of the new systems have been provided to Argest to get your Compliance Schedules up to date
- Your maintenance and service contracts for Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Units, Lifts, and other Specified Systems that have this as a requirement under the Building Act, are in place
- Maintenance checks are being done on Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Units, Lifts, and other Specified Systems that have this as a requirement under the Building Act.
Cost implications of Building Compliance
When planning for your Building Compliance, you will need to consider the following in your budget for the 2019 year:
- Your budgeted expenses will cover the likely increases in Council fees and charges for compliance services. You can check with your local council or Argest for information on your area
- Ensure you have contingencies for council audits – both for time available, and remediation funding – as audits are increasing in frequency and depth of review.
- Argest can provide a consulting service to assist you manage the audit process and council negotiation if required.
Finally, if you have new staff that will be completing Owner’s Inspections, or looking after your Building Compliance processes, make sure they have been trained on how to carry out and record inspections properly. Argest can provide training on what is required under the Building Act to you, and your new staff.
If you need any help or advice on your Building Compliance, Argest is here to help
Please contact us on 0800 ARGEST or online now.